Blazing fast terminal client for git written in Rust
- Fast and intuitive keyboard only control
- Context based help (no need to memorize tons of hot-keys)
- Inspect, commit, and amend changes (incl. hooks: commit-msg/post-commit)
- Stage, unstage, revert and reset files and hunks
- Stashing (save, apply, drop, and inspect)
- Push to remote
- Branch List (create, rename, delete)
- Browse commit log, diff committed changes
- Scalable terminal UI layout
- Async input polling
- Async git API for fluid control
|Time||Memory (GB)||Binary (MB)||Freezes||Crashes|
||4 m 20 s||1.3||0.6
I do most of my git usage in a terminal but I frequently found myself using git UIs for some use cases like: index, commit, diff, stash and log.
Over the last 2 years my go-to GUI tool for this was fork because it was snappy, free, and not bloated. Unfortunately the free part will change soon and so I decided to build a fast and simple terminal tool to help with features I use the most.
- no support for
pullyet (see #90)
- no support for bare repositories (see #100)
- no support for core.hooksPath config
Currently, this tool does not fully substitute the git shell, however both tools work well in tandem.
gitui currently lacks essential features in git like push, pull, and checkout. The priorities are the basics (add, commit), and on features that are making me mad when done on the git shell, like stashes and hunks. Eventually, I will be able to work on features that could lead to making
gitui a one stop solution to get rid of the shell entirely - but for that I need help - this is just a spare time project right now.
All support is welcomed! Sponsors as well!
For the time being this product is in alpha and is not considered production ready. However, for personal use it is reasonably stable and is being used while developing itself.
There is an AUR package for
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/gitui.git cd gitui makepkg -si
sudo dnf install gitui
Available in dm9pZCAq overlay
sudo eselect repository enable dm9pZCAq sudo emerge --sync dm9pZCAq sudo emerge dev-vcs/gitui::dm9pZCAq
brew install gitui
scoop install gitui
choco install gitui
nix-env -iA nixpkgs.gitui
nix-env -iA nixos.gitui
Binaries available for:
- See Install Rust
The simplest way to start playing around with
gitui is to have
cargo build and install it with
cargo install gitui
To run with logging enabled run
This will log to:
- Linux using
gitui should automatically work on both light and dark terminal themes.
However, you can customize everything to your liking: See Themes.
The key bindings can be customized: See Key Config on how to set them to
Road(map) to 1.0
These are the high level goals before calling out
- upstream branches (#453)
- simple pull (only for ff-merge) (#319)
- merging with conflicts (#485)
- log search (commit, author, sha) (#449,#429)
- file history log (#381)
- more tag support (#483)
- file blame (#484)
- visualize branching structure in log tab (#81)