What is this?
Zellij is a workspace aimed at developers, ops-oriented people and anyone who loves the terminal. At its core, it is a terminal multiplexer (similar to tmux and screen), but this is merely its infrastructure layer.
For more details about our future plans, read about upcoming features in our roadmap.
Zellij was initially called "Mosaic".
How do I install it?
You can install it through
cargo install zellij
Or you can download a prebuilt binary from our Releases.
As the default plugins make use of characters that are mostly only found in nerdfonts, you get the best experience either with installing nerdfonts, or telling the plugins that you request a ui, that does not rely on such characters with
zellij options --simplified-ui, or putting
simplified_ui: true in the config file.
How do I hack on it? (Contributing)
- Clone the project
- Install cargo-make with
cargo install --force cargo-make
- In the project folder, for debug builds run:
cargo make run
For more build commands, see
For configuring Zellij, please see the Configuration documentation.
What is the current status of the project?
Zellij should be ready for everyday use, but it's still classified as a beta. This means that there might be a rare crash or wrong behaviour here and there, but that once found it should be fixed rather quickly. If this happens to you, we would be very happy if you could open an issue and tell us how to reproduce it as best you can.
How do I get involved?
Zellij is a labour of love built by an enthusiastic team of volunteers. We eagerly welcome anyone who would like to join us, regardless of experience level.
To get started, you can:
- Take a look at the "Issues" in this repository - especially those marked "Good first issue". Those with the "Help Wanted" tag probably don't have anyone else working on them.
- Drop by our chat and ask what you can work on, or how to get started.
- Open an issue with your idea(s) for the project or tell us about them in our chat.
And most importantly, please read our code of conduct.
This section contains an ever-changing list of the major features that are either currently being worked on, or planned for the near future.
- A web client/server - Connect to Zellij through the browser instead of opening a terminal window. Either on a local or remote machine.
- Share sessions with others - See the focused window and cursor of other users, work on a problem or a code base together in real time.
- Support for multiple terminal windows across screens - Transfer panes across different windows and screens by having them all belong to the same session.
- Smart layouts - expand the current layout system so that it rearranges and hides panes intelligently when new ones are added or the window size is changed.